[TowerTalk] Rohn 45JBK 45G Leg Bolts

Byron Tatum bjtatum1 at att.net
Tue Feb 12 09:15:45 EST 2019

Just for folks interested in obtaining 45G leg bolts:    Rohn is supplying "tri-loc" nuts with their 45G leg bolt kits per new tower regulations. I can certainly understand this. However, the nuts supplied to me in a dozen 45JBK kits that I checked were, in my opinion, too heavily staked as I commented in previous post. There is no way I would use these in my 45G installations. The threads were being damaged too heavily, torque was so high that I was concerned about the bolts twisting plus they were getting pretty hot.    I was really surprised that these were as hard to find as they were in my internet searches. Anything below 1/2" in grade 5 galvanized was either a request for quote, special order or not available. I admit that I am not nearly as "savvy" as some are in procuring items like this.  The 2 of 45G leg bolts are 5/16"-18 x 2-3/8" and 7/16"-14 x 2-1/2", Grade 5, hot dipped galvanized.I found one internet supplier that has these listed and can supply them at good prices. I am going to try them out so we will see. All that I can say is that I am guessing they are not US made, however the ones supplied in my Rohn supplied 45JBK kits were not US made either (JH stamped on heads).  Just my 2 cents worth on it if it can help others, and I am certainly all ears regarding this subject. In complying with the new tower regulation regarding locking devices on nuts I am considering using hot dipped galvanized lock washers or pal nuts but have not researched the availability of either.Byron W5FH