[TowerTalk] PLP "Big Grips"

Byron Tatum bjtatum1 at att.net
Wed Feb 20 01:12:14 EST 2019

Just out of curiosity--     I was wondering if anyone knew the exact materials that are used to coat the inner surfaces of the PLP "Big Grips" such as BG-2144 (1/4") or BG-2146 (5/16")? It appears to me that a gritty material is in combination with an adhesive. I was reading about the manufacturing process used to make a very similar dead-end grip by a PLP competitor and it is mentioned the strands of grip are dipped in an adhesive to bind them together, then they mention the final application of the abrasive material to inner surfaces. Just curious if anyone knew what the materials used were, especially the abrasive/grit material. I recall seeing a gritty material dropping out of older grips (of these exact two mentioned) when taking apart older guy assemblies, plus seeing thin strips of solidified adhesive coming off of the strands of grips. Was wondering if the gritty material is a silica compound or something else??Thanks, Byron W5FH