[TowerTalk] OT: Inductor Calculator

David Gilbert xdavid at cis-broadband.com
Wed Feb 27 17:29:14 EST 2019

If you think the wrong questions are being answered it's because those
formulas assume that you either know or want to know the amount of
inductance you need or have.  There is no way any of those formulas are
going to tell you how much inductance you need to resonate any
particular antenna.

And what don't you know, or can't easily find out, about #8 gauge copper
wire from a big box store?  Dimensions and resistivity are available in
hundreds of places online.  It's even pretty easy to estimate the Q of
such a coil, at least closely enough for most needs.  I could probably
even come up with a good estimate for the stray capacitance without much
effort.

I think it's pretty unreasonable to expect a single formula to account
for every possible real world scenario, the expectation being that you
know how to apply the right formulas for the task at hand.

Dave   AB7E