[TowerTalk] Chromoly Mast slipping in a T2X rotor

Kim Elmore cw_de_n5op at sbcglobal.net
Wed Jan 2 21:19:10 EST 2019

I've had a T2X in an HDBX 48 for 30 y. It turns a 2" diameter, 1/16"
wall chrome-moly mast. There are 8' of mast above the thrust bearing
holding (from top to bottom) a 40-CD2, a WD3, and KL-KT34A (a bit over
12 sq ft). Yes, the 40 CD2 should be at the top, but... The T2X manual
says the rotator will hold up to a 2 1/16" mast. To use a 2" mast
requires a single 1/32" shim in the V of the mast mount on the rotator.
I use 1/32" aluminum sheet from the hobby shop. I've have ALWAYS pinned
the mast in the rotator and have never had an issue with it. My system
has survived gusts up to a measured 86 MPH (I have an anemometer on the
tower). That's not to say I'll *never* have a problem, simply that I
haven't yet.

But, I'll also assure you that with as short a distance from the rotator
to the thrust bearing as I have, that 1/32" shim makes the difference
between a very long rotator life and a service life of about 2 y. I know
from experience! If, however, a thrust bearing isn't used and, instead,
a tube through which the mast slips (instead of a thrust bearing), no
shim is necessary.

Kim N5OP