[TowerTalk] Help needed on new beam

john at kk9a.com john at kk9a.com
Tue Jan 8 07:25:55 EST 2019

I remember seeing a burnt TH7 trap on the wall of the P49V/P40YL shack
with a note that said this is what happens when you run more than 500
watts on RTTY. Of course there may have been a salt buildup or other
contributing issues. I have won many contest plaques using trapped
antennas so they are not horrible. The original poster was looking for
minimal windload for a light duty tower so a two or three element trapped
tribander is a good option.

John KK9A

Jim w7ry wrote:

If traps were as lossy and you think, why don't they just smoke and burn
up when on RTTY at 1500 watts?

Get your calculator out, and if they really are that lossy, would they
would catch fire dissipating all that loss?

Thanks
73
Jim W7RY