[TowerTalk] 160m. Inverted L question

David Gilbert xdavid at cis-broadband.com
Wed Jan 16 14:04:56 EST 2019

Pretty much this.  I modeled K9OM's setup for him, and although I
couldn't accurately copy his ground conditions and radial field, the
model said there was virtually no interaction at all.  He doesn't have a
lot of top loading on his 57' tower so that makes qualitative sense.  He
is now planning to put his effort into upgrading his radial field and I
referred him the N6LF's work on that.

I was, however, able to significantly distort the model to show a major
effect on his pattern, but only by adding enough inductance into the
tower to essentially tune it to 160m.  With the right value of
inductance the pattern turns cardioid with about a 20 db notch in the
direction away from the tower.  That also makes qualitative sense, but
I'm not sure that's a typical condition.  A tower that isn't
approximately close to resonance shouldn't have any more effect on an
adjacent Inverted-L than a 15m element would have for 20m on a
tribander.  The fact that the tower is grounded is irrelevant.

I think hams often like to generalize far too much without bothering to
investigate further, especially in the case of antennas.  We have tools
available to us now that can turn rules of thumb (at least some of them)
into science, but somehow the myths still perpetuate.

73,
Dave   AB7E