[TowerTalk] 80 meter vertical

jimlux jimlux at earthlink.net
Sat Jan 19 22:20:39 EST 2019

On 1/19/19 6:58 PM, john at kk9a.com wrote:
> That is a great question, I have wondered this many times when operating on
> the sloping terrain in VP2V and KP2. To my knowledge there is no modeling
> software that will show a vertical's pattern on a hill.

No readily available amateur radio software..I'm sure that there are
codes out there.. Maybe HFSS could do it, but I'm not sure it's well
suited to this.

If it is a "uniformly sloping hill", you could put a vertical that
slopes at the hill angle into NEC and model with flat earth. - then
rotate the pattern you calculated.

But once you get away from that, it's trickier. You can do a fairly
straightforward raytrace for H pol, the reflection coefficient varies
smoothly and is generally large, and the usual assumption is that the
soil surface is parallel to the polarization.
V pol reflection coefficient varies a lot, and you need to deal with
things like diffraction.