[TowerTalk] Verticals on a Hill

Grant Saviers grants2 at pacbell.net
Sun Jan 20 14:55:47 EST 2019

My verticals on the beach use 2 elevated resonant radials and had great
results.  There are lower losses because of the saltwater side but the
significant improvement IMO is due to the very low angle gain
improvement from the near and far field effects of the salt water.

Landward, the pattern is just like any similar vertical over regular
earth. Some put beach verticals up with radials in contact with the
earth, but then they are in contact with a lossy material, which defeats
much of the benefit IMO.  If a "no touch" multiband radial system is a
requirement then maybe that is an acceptable tradeoff if a standard
radial complement is used.  I use banana plug jumpers to make my
elevated radials quickly adaptable to 2 or 3 bands 20 > 10m. A
telescopic whip tunes to resonance, usually low 30's ohms.  A CrankIR
for 40 and up.

At the North Cooks, the 160m extended CrankIR vertical performed very
well near the beach, but the single elevated radial voltages were truly
awesome.  The vagaries of 160m prop are beyond my pay grade, but for 80m
I don't think there is much debate about lowest angle is best for long
haul DX.

Grant KZ1W