[TowerTalk] Verticals on a Hill

jimlux jimlux at earthlink.net
Sun Jan 20 14:57:22 EST 2019

On 1/20/19 8:59 AM, VE6WZ_Steve wrote:
> Bill, I agree with your analysis and like you I wish there was a program like HFTA out there that could handle a vertical radiator.
> My remote QTH is on a gently sloping hill in all direction and is about 100m above the surrounding farmland.
>
> Here is a very rudimentary and non-scientific powerpoint which includes a copy of the “vertical over sloping terrain analysis” from ON4UN’s book.  I don't know where he got this analysis or who did it.  Does anyone know??
>
> https://drive.google.com/file/d/1UP45c5MWaWvA0T9no4DHW060FSgC-3Pk/view?usp=sharing <https://drive.google.com/file/d/1UP45c5MWaWvA0T9no4DHW060FSgC-3Pk/view?usp=sharing>

That looks like the "tilt the radiator over horizontal surface, then
tilt the pattern to make the radiator vertical" analysis which NEC will
do nicely (at least for a uniform surface).

> This analysis of an 80m vertical over sloping ground certainly shows that a  significant low-angle gain benefit of up to 11dB over a flat terrain vertical.  I include a comparison to other plots from Johns book showing how a vertical over saltwater shows a similar outstanding low-angle response, which we have all heard in action from various well place DX-peds on the saltwater.  I extrapolate this to 160m.
>
> I can only assume that building a HFTA like program for a vertical is a bit more complex than a horizontal radiator.

Very much more so.

There's two big problems:

Problem #1

For Vpol, the reflection from the soil is very much affected by
incidence angle and soil properties. There's a Brewster Angle where
there is no reflection. For Hpol, it's always almost a total reflection,
independent of soil properties.  Well, the reflection goes from total at
low elevation angles (grazing) down to something like 0.8 at vertical
incidence, and more importantly, the phase of the reflection is
basically constant.
Not so with Vpol.

Polarized sunglasses make use of this.. they're Vpol, because the Hpol
constitutes most of the glare in a reflection)

Problem #2
In H-pol, you can use a simple terrain model of a piecewise linear (or
interpolated spline) to represent the terrain.. The waves are parallel
to the surface, so the calculation is easy.
In V pol, the waves are at an angle to the surface, so the calculation
is more complex.

---
And then getting to the other problem - most antennas are not surrounded
by circularly symmetric terrain (like a eroded lunar crater).. That's a
problem for both H and V pol modeling. In real life rays are not
constrained to a vertical plane in the direction of propagation.

All of this is solvable - the equations are fairly simple, but it's one
of those things where there's not much economic incentive to develop
*and validate* the modeling code.  It would be computationally
intensive, but these days, with inexpensive or free cloud computing
resources you can get a lot of computing for very little money.

Get up to VHF, UHF, and above, and there's tons of software out there to
model land mobile radio, cellphones, etc. with all manner of modeling
approaches that handles diffraction, arbitrary surfaces, buildings, etc.
  One could probably use one of those codes for HF, by scaling (instead
of running your model for 1.8 MHz, run it for 1.8 GHz, and load your
terrain model scaled by 10.

The soil dielectric parameters have a big effect on the model - and that
is really, really hard to know over a wide area.  You could probably
look at data from microwave satellite observations and come up with some
estimates at km or larger scale, but getting data at 10 or 100 meter
resolution would be challenging.  So you've got the problem of "antenna
on a hill, next to a farmer's field, with a forest, and a salt water
beach...

At some point, though, for HF propagation, it just becomes easier to try
it and see what happens.

I will confess, though, that it is fun and instructive to sit and run
through models when the rain is coming down outside.