[TowerTalk] HDBX Version History...

Kim Elmore cw_de_n5op at sbcglobal.net
Mon Jul 1 18:47:31 EDT 2019

I recently asked a question about HDBX 48 torque loading. Another
towertalkian told me his failed in about 80 MPH winds. He sent me a
picture of his failed HDBX 48 (more heavily loaded than mine by a fair
bit) that failed. Something I noticed in the picture was that his
HDBX48?? had only *five* X-braces per section; I thought it looked odd,
so I went out and looked at mine: mine has *six* X-braces per section.
He said his was manufactured sometime around 1968-1970 while mine was
put up around 1986, so was probably made around that time.

Did Rohn change the design of their BX towers to add another X-brace to
each section, or am I seeing things?

Kim N5OP

--

Kim Elmore, Ph.D. (Adj. Assoc. Prof., OU School of Meteorology, CCM, PP
SEL/MEL/Glider, N5OP, 2nd Class Radiotelegraph, GROL)

/"In theory there is no difference between theory and practice. But, in
practice, there is." //??? Attributed to many people; it???s so true that it
doesn???t matter who said it./