[TowerTalk] Wire antenna?

Richard (Rick) Karlquist richard at karlquist.com
Tue Jul 2 11:49:24 EDT 2019

You're right; my bad.  I actually had an end fed full
wave on 40 meters 30 years ago and used to know this :-).
40 meters was a "free bonus" feature of my 80 meter half wave.
The cloverleaf pattern wasn't optimum but it did make
QSO's etc.  It was a cloud burner at 55 feet anyway, so
it was never going to be anything great.  The 4 nulls tend
to fill in at low heights.

This just reinforces the notion that the
EFHW should be considered a single band antenna, on
the frequency where the wire length produces half
wave resonance, as indicated by a high resistive
drive impedance.  This will be a few percent less
than a half wave in free space.

For higher frequencies, the "magic" goes away and
it becomes a glorified "random wire" requiring a legitimate
counterpoise.

Random wires (> 1/2 wave) have random patterns!

Rick N6RK