[TowerTalk] Break-aways for Tree Installed Wire Antennas

Grant Saviers grants2 at pacbell.net
Sun Jul 7 16:34:01 EDT 2019

Hi Jim,

My strategy is to have pull down lines on all hoist lines.  These can be
para-cord or lighter braid nylon cord (#4 I think).  Then when the wire
breaks I can retrieve the hoist lines that run thru the pulley.  I tie
the pull down line to the hoist line so even if the insulator breaks the
hoist is retrievable.

I assume the line that raised the pulley is going to get jammed by tree
growth so invest $15 for a good marine pulley that will last.  Synthetic
Textiles rope seems to last about forever in my experience. (10 years in
CA sun and some relocated for 8 more years so far here in PNW.)

Another way is to make the hoist line a continuous loop with more than
enough line so the knot is never at the pulley.  Sometimes the loop
constraint gets in the way and a free end pull down line helps
navigating the antenna wire around limbs, etc.

Hope that is helpful,

Grant KZ1W