[TowerTalk] Fall Zone

Jim Thomson jim.thom at telus.net
Mon Jul 8 12:34:41 EDT 2019

Date: Mon, 8 Jul 2019 11:20:31 -0400 (EDT)
From: Wilson  Lamb <infomet at embarqmail.com>
To: undefined <towertalk at contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Fall Zone

<I wouldn't want a neighbor's tower/Yagi looming over my backyard...and I love towers!
<The fall zone idea seems like simple good manners.
<I have been loosely involved in dropping 200' BC towers, dropped by cutting the rods at one guy anchor, thus losing all guys on that side.
<They fell absolutely full length, with a few sections not even bent!
<I think a foundation failure (soil, bolt, gin pole) would drop a crankup to full length.
<Is there any experience available on this?
<WL

##  per software,  Trylon self support  towers will  fail  at the junction  of the 4th  and  5th  section..... 40’  above ground.
UST  designs a weak  spot.... which  is  midway  up  the  3rd  section...  46.5  feet  above ground.

##  Never seen  a pix  of  either  tower folded  over... as  depicted  above.    40  ft...and  46.5 ft.   So dont  know if  their
design theory  works....or not.

Jim   VE7RF