[TowerTalk] Break-aways for Tree Installed Wire Antennas

Jim Thomson jim.thom at telus.net
Mon Jul 8 12:44:54 EDT 2019

Date: Sun, 7 Jul 2019 14:21:34 -0700
From: Jim Brown <jim at audiosystemsgroup.com>
To: towertalk at contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Break-aways for Tree Installed Wire Antennas

<I hire climbers to put pulleys high in the trees, then use Synthetic
<Textile rope with a weight on one end, the other end tied off. I find
<that the rope does NOT last forever in my tall redwoods -- tree sway
<causes the UV-resistant outer jacket to fray around the pulleys,
<exposing the UV sensitive inner braid. I've had this happen in as few as
<five years. The trees are 200 ft redwoods, and the pulleys are around
<140-150 ft. My guess is that this isn't a problem for shorter trees. :)

<73, Jim K9YC

###   Why not  use  .125  or  .1525  galvanized   winch  cable ?
Use  correct  pulleys....... and  end of problem.

##  Or  SS  winch  cable....and  SS   pulleys.

Jim  VE7RF