[TowerTalk] Question regarding electrical connectivity of frozen telescoping aluminum tubing

Richard (Rick) Karlquist richard at karlquist.com
Wed Jul 17 18:20:56 EDT 2019

I bought a used KT34XA and between the seller and me I disassembled
it enough to get it home.  Another KT34XA owner recommended that
I disassemble it completely  and buff it with Scotch bright and
then reassemble using NoAlOx.   The purpose of this was to assure
good electrical conductivity.

This raises the question:  if an old antenna has difficult to
disassemble tubing pieces, is it possible for two pieces
to be mechanically stuck together yet have poor electrical
connectivity?  Or conversely, if conductivity looks good using
a 4 wire ohmmeter, are we in the "don't fix it if it ain't broke"
mode.

I've seen a lot of discussion about ways to unfreeze elements
but this topic doesn't seem to have been covered.

Rick N6RK