[TowerTalk] [RFI] Fair-Rite Common Mode Chokes

Grant Saviers grants2 at pacbell.net
Thu Jul 18 13:06:03 EDT 2019

The smaller #31 cores (1-1/8L x 1-1/8" dia Fair-Rite 2631101902) and
1/8" RG316 TFE coax can make a choke, but not the R of a 240 size.
About 4k ohms 160, 6.5k 80m, 4k 40m with 10 turns (max that fits).  I 3d
printed an ABS fluted internal mandrel for disciplining the coax so
windings never overlap per K9YC's work.  RG316 coax is good enough for
500w to 100MHz.  QRO on 80m.

On 80m 316 has 1.5db loss/100' so not great but about as small & light
as practical.  Transition to lower loss coax to keep the vertical 316 short.

Here is a loss calc with RG316 and SWR losses estimated
  https://owenduffy.net/calc/tl/tllc.php

The Times calc shows the power capacity of 316
https://www.timesmicrowave.com/calculator/

I use the Budwig Hye-Q insulators for DXpeditions, small light and
pretty tough although it is easy to break off segments of the disks, a
bit brittle.  The rope holes are too small for para-cord so I drill them
larger.

Grant KZ1W