[TowerTalk] Question regarding electrical connectivity of frozen telescoping aluminum tubing

john at kk9a.com john at kk9a.com
Thu Jul 18 15:27:20 EDT 2019

I agree on both counts. Scotch-brite pads work well for cleaning up
old tubing. I have built many large homebrew Yagi's using old 6061
aluminum tubing.  Steel wool can leave metal partials embedded into
the aluminum that can corrode, Scotch-brite has no steel. After owning
a station in Aruba and seeing the effects of severe corrosion, I try
to avoid unnecessary dissimilar metal contact.  Aluminum and copper
are not close together on the galvanic table.  I know that some of the
big multi contest stations are using copper anti-seize on their
antennas but I use Penetrox.

John KK9A

Joe Subich, W4TV wrote:

I would not use *either* steel wool or copper bearing anti-seize.  Both
copper and steel will set up electrolysis with the aluminum that will
cause future conductivity and mechanical problems.

Stick with thee scotch pad and an anti-seize made specifically for
aluminum.

73,

     ... Joe, W4TV