[TowerTalk] tower replacement wisdom

Charles Morrison junkcmp at gmail.com
Thu Jul 18 19:48:11 EDT 2019

Having done a 120ft 140 MPH tower last year I grabbed my costs and applied
them to your plan:

NEW PARTS  170ft 130MPH 55G 4-guy levels no insulators

$2500 for new Rohn anchor rods  GAC5755TOP  $825 ea +ship
$400 rebar -pickup
$200 lumber -pickup
$6000             17 new 55G sections +ship  (Find used and save 50%, but
life is reduced.)
$1500             All other Rohn parts   BPC55G APL55G (4) GA55GD    +ship
$ 315              700 ft  5/16" EHS  $0.45/ft  +ship
$ 475             1575 ft 1/4" EHS  $0.30/ft  +ship
$   48               6  5/16" Guy grips / Big Grips $8 ea +ship
$ 108             18  1/4" Guy grips / Big Grips $6 ea +ship
$ ~500           Thimbles, Shackles, End sleeves/ice clips.  +ship
$ 200              Bolt cutters pickup
$ 425              12   3/4TBE&J Galvanized Turnbuckles  $35 ea +ship
$ 100              Safety Wire & parts +ship
$ ???              Grounding +ship

You build guywires  2-3 days 1 man.
Tower crew:     Remove ants & cables
 Tower crew:    Demo tower ( release 1 guy) cut up for scrap, (You could do
all of this & haul away)
$500-1000       One day anchor hole prep $500-1000  Rohn AB3
                        Build rebar cages  1 man 2-3 days
$ ???                6-to-8 yds 4000 psi concrete  +ship
 Tower crew:    Erect tower
  Tower crew:   Install new feedlines and old antennas
Totals:
New Parts discounted retail $13000 + Tower crew ($5000-$10000) + new
feedlines and associate parts + backhoe + shipping + concrete
+ your free labor listed above.
Guess: $25000 to $35000

-Charlie N1RR