[TowerTalk] tower replacement wisdom

Jim Thomson jim.thom at telus.net
Fri Jul 19 14:08:39 EDT 2019

Date: Thu, 18 Jul 2019 16:01:06 -0700
From: Matthew Kaufman <matthew at matthew.at>
To: TowerTalk <towertalk at contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] tower replacement wisdom

<I have the following limitations.

<1. I want to have minimal downtime - the tower has a COUPLE  of  HEAVILY –USED
<ham repeaters, a COMMERCIAL REPEATER,  AND a WIRELESS  ISP on it.

<2. The county would never issue a permit for a tower like this today... the
<property has a use permit for the tower, specified as "18 inch face" and a
<drawing of its approximate location on the property. So I need to somehow
<permit this work as "replacement in kind".

<4. I'd like to ensure that the tower can support the existing AND  FUTURE
<MICROWAVE  DISH  loadS, and reduce the twist both for those AND the FIRE
<DETECTION  CAMERAS  I have up top... so maybe should go to star guying?

<So... I need to choose a tower that is roughly 18" face width (possibly
<just Rohn 55 again), and install it at (if I trust the foundation) or near
<the existing tower location, with presumably new guy anchors that must be
<near but not at the existing anchor locations (to minimize downtime), and
<do as much of the removal and installation as possible with a crane (or
<helicopter?). I also need to not break the bank, as this is really a hobby
<tower for me, where the commercial customers are mostly to pay the
<utilities and property taxes.

<Thoughts? Alternatives?

<Matthew Kaufman, KA6SQG

##  You  could make a case  for a replacement HD TOWER.   Cite... global climate change,
worsening wx  condx, etc.

##  The existing  tower is  worn out, it  needs to be replaced ... asap.

## The   TWO  ham  repeaters are  required  for  emergency use.....  and probably the
commercial repeater as well.

##  The  wireless  ISP is  required  for internet users.... who  rely heavily on  it....  being  reliable..esp  in  any  emergency.

##  existing tower  wont handle  Microwave  dish loads.

##  Fire detection cameras  are an  ESSENTIAL   emergency  use  device.

##  Bare  min  should be the  HD version  of  Rohn  55... which is a combo of Z  and X  bracing.

##  Ideally, Rohn  65  should be used.    The extra  few inches of face  width   pales  in comparison to the
170 ft height.   You  might get  away  without  having to use star guys, if  65 used.  Dunno  abt the proposed
microwave  dishes...and twist.

##  The  170 FT height  should be grandfathered.    Replacing  a worn out tower..with a new, stronger tower
should be a non issue.   You  are  providing an essential  public service..and then some.

##  The  commercial users might make a stink  about the..down time...ditto  with  wireless  ISP.

##  Its  not  1971  anymore.  Nobody uses  C  spec  wind ratings.   Its  G  spec  these days.
##    Replacement tower needs to be  beefed up, stronger.   Dunno  abt the
existing base,  but  I would be leery  about the  guy  anchors.  Original tower  was  150 ft.... not  170.

Jim   VE7RF