[TowerTalk] tower replacement wisdom

Dick Green WC1M wc1m73 at gmail.com
Sat Jul 20 14:59:02 EDT 2019

I don't know about the zoning ordinance in your town, but our town's zoning ordinance and State law allow a grandfathered structure to be completely replaced, but the location and dimensions cannot be changed. If either location or dimensions are changed, even a little, a variance is required. And the requirements for obtaining a variance are quite strict under the town ordinance and State law. It's very unlikely that an application to move the anchors would meet the variance requirements in my town, especially since you can't demonstrate that it's impossible to rebuild in place. It isn't impossible -- it just costs you more downtime. Inconvenience and cost don't justify a variance in my town. And even if it were impossible, it's unlikely you would meet the other variance requirements in my town, like the spirit of the current ordinance has to be met (not the case with your oversized tower) and there has to be something unique about your property that's different from all other properties in the area such that there's no point in enforcing the ordinance or you can't make any use of the property at all without a variance (that's the "hardship" criterion, which trips up most variance applications.) Again, your ordinance may be different, but I believe a lot of ordinances have similar criteria regarding variances.

If you're lucky, your local zoning ordinance provides more flexibility for slight alterations to the location or dimensions when replacing a specially permitted structure. If not, then if limiting downtime means that much you could try to fight the variance requirement under PRB-1. There are lawyers who specialize in such litigation (e.g., K1VR.) Could be costly and could take a long time. I don't know for sure, but the presence of commercial antennas on your tower could throw a wrench in that strategy.

I would get a professional assessment of what to do. Perhaps you could safely move a set of guys to a temporary anchor (a large, heavy truck?) and dig up the anchor to inspect the condition or the rod and/or assess whether it would be possible to install a new anchor rod by drilling into the slab or some other means. If not, I would think you could remove the existing slab. I imagine there are machines that could lift it out, but it's probably more cost effective to break it into smaller pieces with a jack hammer and cut the rebar apart. That will disturb the ground, so you'll have to assess whether the hole needs to be made larger to compensate. If I was doing this, I'd get the opinions of a professional tower engineer. This approach would allow you to inspect and possibly replace the anchors one at a time, which would save downtime. But it requires some sort of *safe* temporary guy anchor and I don't know if that's possible. Again, professional advice is mandatory.

While it's conceivable you could inspect and/or replace each of the guy anchors without downtime, I don't see any way you can replace the tower and its slab without more downtime than if you were allowed to move the tower. But you may not need to remove the slab. Seeing that it's a pier-pin base, perhaps you could build up the slab by drilling holes in it to secure a small rebar cage with epoxy, then pour enough concrete on top to raise the level of the slab. However, I'd have a structural engineer check that idea. Even if it's safe, it might be easier and quicker to pull out the base and repour it.

73, Dick WC1M