[TowerTalk] The TH7 and Damping Rope

Don w7wll at arrl.net
Sat Jul 20 22:27:13 EDT 2019

Interesting. Got my TH7DX in late '82, maybe early '83. Instructions
required the damping rope ONLY in the untrapped elements. I missed this
part when I assembled mine, finally discarded the rope. The antenna has
been up, down, disassembled, up, down, moved, reassembled and I've never
used dampening rope. Do use the end caps except for 2 that were lost a
few years back. Always windy here on the coast and big sustained winds
in the winter but have never had an element failure. The sole issue I've
had (besides the really crappy BN-86 balun which was replaced early on)
was the use of the cheap plated screws inside the traps at the coil ends
which became a rust ball. I did replacement with SS and the appropriate
conductive grease on the DE 15M traps (my problem last summer). I need
to do the other traps this summer.

_I am still looking for advice on how to put the antenna element tubing
pieces apart._ I used the grey/silver tubing coating that was originally
supplied with the antenna back when and the tubing to tubing points are
frozen, solid. Have tried a few things but not heat. Was hoping to pull
everything apart last summer for a good overhaul, but ran into the
freeze problem and ran out of time. Fixing the traps was easy. So
someone must have a good suggestion for getting frozen element tubing
apart so it can be cleaned and reassembled.

Don W7WLL

Don W7WLL