[TowerTalk] Have you had success with ....

Grant Saviers grants2 at pacbell.net
Sun Jul 21 01:50:22 EDT 2019

I think the topic "resonance of yagi elements" has a total attention in
publications of about zero.  Then the topic, "coupled resonances of yagi
elements" has substantially less coverage.  With a big stack it is
interesting to watch how turning one affects all others.

IMO real understanding is beyond any rule of thumb, however I do like
the thin wall connected to thick wall reasoning.  And building decent
models for analysis would be exceeding difficult to get all of the
reality captured correctly.

So if elements are buzzing or seriously vibrating then adding some
dampening such as Telrex did for TH7s (I've had two, built to manual
with great survival) seems like a good idea.  I also learned that a
vertical guyed at 50% and 100% was a bad idea as the coupled resonances
were dramatic until fatigue broke it in half.

One more comment re tip sealing.  It's very important on a SteppIR w/o
trombones.  I really like a bit of open cell foam in the tip plus a cap
with a hole/notch at the south edge for drainage.  Bugs kept out, water
let out.  My 4L steppIR works FB after 7 years in rainy EWA.

Grant KZ1W