[TowerTalk] Rx filters

Jim Brown jim at audiosystemsgroup.com
Sun Jul 21 03:15:23 EDT 2019

On 7/20/2019 3:27 PM, john nistico wrote:
> My temporary NY with now has neighbor problems. I am sandwich between two active hams any advice.

Hi John,

Pretty basic -- both you and your neighbors need to own the cleanest
possible radios with the most bulletproof front ends. That more or less
limits you to Elecraft and the top line Flex for rigs, and top line tube
amps. And everyone needs to know how to tune the power amps carefully
(and do it religiously). K6XX is my neighbor, and we're good friends
because we practiced all of that. When I moved in 3 miles down the road
from him, he made sure that I understood all of that. When Elecraft
introduced their K3, my even closer neighbor (about 0.4 mile), W6DRX,
and I both bought them, because, as engineers, we knew that was the only
way we could coexist.

The owner of a top line Yaesu or Icom radio is NOT a good neighbor,
because their CW bandwidth is NASTY. There are NO filters we can install
to kill trash that our neighbors transmit on our frequency. The only
solution is at the source -- dirty radios to the trash!

My summary of ARRL lab tests, done 3-4 years ago, is at k9yc.com  Their
measurements, my presentation of their data. There are also my own
measurements of my own rigs and amps, and rigs that neighbors loaned me.

73, Jim K9YC