[TowerTalk] Marking cables for identification

jimlux jimlux at earthlink.net
Wed Jul 24 19:38:42 EDT 2019

On 7/24/19 3:36 PM, Richard Smith wrote:
>   I'm involved in building a fairly large station. There will be many coax, rotor, and control cables coming in to a main entrance of a building. It would be helpful if there was a good method of marking the cables to identify them for routing and troubleshooting purposes.
> If you don't mind, would you please share your techniques?

here's all the ways I've done over the years.

1) you can buy a roll of sequential number tapes, so you label each end
with the same number, and then have a master list that says "cable #232
is the framostat accelerator control line"  - this is the traditional
industrial electrical solution.

2) you can get heat shrink tubing that has prestamped identifiers on it,
you slide it over the connector, then shrink it on.  You can also do
this with a permanent marker on plain white heat shrink.  The problem is
the shrink ratio - for SMA on anything bigger than 0.100" diameter, it
works ok.  Not sure about N and 0.405"  or UHF and 0.405".

3) use a label maker to print labels, stick them on the coax, cover it
with something protective: clear heat shrink, clear packing tape, etc.

4) Label maker or similar and make flags which you wrap around the coax
and that stick out (and get torn off when you pull another one past it).

5) Those little metal or paper disks that you mark, then attach to the
cable with a zip tie or wire or lacing twine.  Paper you can write on,
metal you need to use a set of alphabet punches or an engraving tool (or
go to the local pet store and make many, many dog tags) (or find a
company that does engraving)

I haven't done this, but I suspect that if you were to talk to a place
that does promotional items (engraved plaques, name tags, etc.) they
might cut you a deal on a big batch if you give them a file with all the
legends you want - they have a machine controlled by a computer, so
there are economies of scale.

There is a building code thing (or a "good practice" requirement) that
when commercial cable installs are done that they label all the cables
on both ends.  This is so that unused cables can be identified and
potentially removed. Anyone who has worked in a 40-50 year old building
with random coax and phone wires running hither and yon will appreciate
this.. at work (JPL) we have coax emerging from the floor, ceiling, or
walls, and a lot of times you have no idea where the other end comes
out, if anywhere.  There are cases where the cable runs into an area
which has since been walled off permanently - there is no other end that
is accessible. Sometimes, you can hook up a TDR and figure out how long
the cable is, if you're brave.

https://www.graphicproducts.com/articles/ansi-tia-606-b-cable-labeling-standards/