[TowerTalk] Antenna Analyzers

Richard (Rick) Karlquist richard at karlquist.com
Thu Jun 6 13:40:26 EDT 2019

On 6/6/2019 9:31 AM, Garry via TowerTalk wrote:
> Good Day,
> I am interesting in a graphical antenna analyzer and considering the Rig Expert AA-30/54 or MFJ-226. If anyone has any experience with these, I would appreciate any comments.
> Thanks & 73,Garry - K4OR

The AA-55 ZOOM model has high RF output level.
The other Rig Expert models not necessarily.
The AA-55 ZOOM is the only analyzer I've tried that works
on my 160 meter vertical with a 50 kHz BCB station
6 miles away.  It has exactly the right feature
set for field antenna testing, including the
ability to calibrate.  It is completely self
contained, but can be connected to a PC to
dump measurement data.  The user interface is
very intuitive and I figured out how to use it
without reading the manual.

The only thing about it that is not perfect is
that the display tends to get washed out in full
sunlight.  This complaint probably applies to 99%
of any kind of hand held electronic gadget.

It has been immensely useful to me.  Highly recommended.

Disclosure:  in a previous life, I designed network analyzers
for HP/Agilent/Keysight.

Rick N6RK