[TowerTalk] 2x2 High Power Antenna Relay Boxes

jimlux jimlux at earthlink.net
Mon Jun 10 19:17:09 EDT 2019

On 6/10/19 4:02 PM, Jim Brown wrote:
> I need to trade flip two antennas between two radios. The only
> commercial product I see is a Transco box sold by Array Solutions. Is
> that the only choice? The application is legal limit on 80M.

at 4MHz, maybe a "reversing switch" might work for you? For large motors
and such. Also known as a "transfer switch",  Also known as a "baseball
switch" in waveguide, there's two basic designs - one is a conventional
DPDT relay kind of thing where the NC and NO contacts are cross wired.
The other has a rotating plug with two shorting bars and the "spigots"
go "Tx 1", "ant 1", "Tx 2", "Ant 2" around the plug, which rotates 90
degrees.

The advantage of this over a conventional SPST or SPDT "relay box" is
that it's a single device, so you don't have the "accidentally short
transmitters together" problem.

I am sure there are (exceedingly) pricey units that do this from DowKey,
etc.

There's a whole lore on building "safe" microwave switching networks
with N transmitters and M antennas and L receivers with these things.

https://www.rlcelectronics.com/products/9-switches/53-high_power_transfer_coaxial_srp-t_series.html.
- it will take 8 kW @ 100 MHz with the right connectors...

There's a Transco on Ebay for $75 with some connector that sort of looks
like an N, but not quite (insulating conical center conductor)