[TowerTalk] My First Tower

Jim Brown jim at audiosystemsgroup.com
Sun Jun 30 01:06:12 EDT 2019

On 6/29/2019 3:01 PM, Matthew Kaufman wrote:
> Santa Cruz County is the most difficult permitting in the whole state
> of California. Good luck.

Matthew knows whereof he speaks. I live in Santa Cruz county, and every
local ham I've met has said to not go near the building dept. With your
resources, I would do as much as I could with wires in trees. No permits
required. There are people you can hire to put pulleys high up in tall
trees, from which you can hang dipoles, which are very effective
antennas. I have dipoles at right angles to each other at 120 ft for 80
and 40, and at 100 ft for 30. I have a Tee vertical for 160 with a 100
ft vertical section.  In 12 years, I have 163 confirmed on 160, 225 on
80, 276 on 40, and 239 on 30. 20 and 17 are the only bands above 30M
with propagation for the next four years, while the lower bands are
getting better each year. I would concentrate on figuring out the
simplest, least obtrusive way to rig the small 2-el SteppIR.  Like not
very high in the middle of trees on your property.

73, Jim K9YC