[TowerTalk] FW: Silver vs Aluminum vs Copper Re: OT: Inductor Calculator

Matt maflukey at gmail.com
Sat Mar 2 23:02:56 EST 2019

When the surface area of the anode is relatively large compared to the
cathode, galvanic corrosion is generally not a problem when the stainless is
cathodic.   Hence using relatively small 18-8 stainless fasteners on
aluminum elements or galvanized structures generally presents little
interaction provided that the assembly is not in a salt laden or heavy
chloride environment.   The British Stainless Steel Association has
published some scholarly articles on this subject as well as NACE.

I regularly use high chromium stainless washers to isolate copper from
aluminum or zinc galvanize without issue.  A generous application of no-ox
compound provides added protection and if using stainless threaded
fasteners, anti-seize compound is a must.

73
Matt
KM5VI