[TowerTalk] Silver vs Aluminum vs Copper Re: OT: Inductor Calculator

Jeff DePolo jd0 at broadsci.com
Mon Mar 4 14:12:57 EST 2019

> > ##  44.9 microns  =  0.001767717  inches.   Im sure I can
> pile on at least
> > .001  inch..or more of  silver plating..esp with multiple
> applications.
>
> The paper that was linked by another list member comments
> that plating
> conductivity is often (much) lower than the plain metal, because of
> stuff added to make the plating actually work.
>
> And you really need 5 skin depths - 1 skin depth only gets
> the first 37%
> of the current - 5 skin depths is >99%.
> There's a whole raft of icky things too about silver migration, weird
> alloys, and so forth.

I recall looking into using Cool-Amp to silver-plate components for custom
filter products that we were designing and building in-house.  As I recall,
even as high as 100 MHz, the Cool-Amp plating thickness was insufficient,
and it couldn't be "built up" thicker without degrading conductivity which,
as I recall, was appreciably less than silver electroplating to start with.
Anyone have any measured data or links to research regarding silver plating
with Cool-Amp?

				--- Jeff WN3A

---