[TowerTalk] Long Wire Sag

Gedas w8bya at mchsi.com
Sun Mar 10 11:25:36 EDT 2019

I am planning to put up a long inverted v antenna with it's feedpoint at
85' using 600' total wire (300' on each leg). The ends will be near the
ground, only 20-25 feet high.

My question is given that each leg of this antenna will be 300' long am
I better off going with a lighter weight #14 THHN insulated stranded
wire or some heavier #12 THHN stranded? I am not going to purchase a
different wire that would be better suited like copper-weld etc since I
have plenty of these other two and want to try something today.

I realize there is going to be a _lot_ of sag in either case but I am
not sure of the breaking strengths of either #12 or #14 and in the end
which will help keep the wire up higher with less sag. Any ideas?

Gedas, W8BYA

Gallery at http://w8bya.com
Light travels faster than sound....