[TowerTalk] Long Wire Sag

jimlux jimlux at earthlink.net
Sun Mar 10 13:27:53 EDT 2019

On 3/10/19 9:29 AM, dwkanepe at aol.com wrote:
> For information, NFPA-70 (National Electrical Code) Table 810.52
> requires minimum 10 AWG (Hard Drawn Copper) or 12 AWG (Copper Clad
> Steel) for spans greater than 150 feet.

Or various clad steel..

Yeah - but I'd venture that most amateur antenna installations are not
fully NEC compliant. Bonding to ground systems, the feedthrough into the
structure, clearances from structures and trees, etc.

Part of it is a safety argument - if the antenna breaks and falls down,
is a hazard created (i.e. is it going to wind up hitting a power line).
The NEC rules are derived from the same rules as current carrying
conductors between poles and are all about "it stays up regardless".
Those rules also date from the days of King Spark when long wire
antennas were a commercial thing.

I note that commercial wire antennas from companies like TCI use
Alumoweld (Model 548 Log Periodic), and I've also seen Stainless Steel
(in the infamous Terminated folded dipoles.. it's a lossy antenna
already, so using a lossy conductor isn't a big problem)

One can also argue that the long wire antenna made with magnet wire is
almost by definition a "temporary" installation and perhaps not subject
to NEC.