[TowerTalk] Thrust bearing discussion

RVZ rlvz at aol.com
Sun Mar 10 14:10:20 EDT 2019

This is a helpful discussion as I'm seriously considering the use of two Thrust bearings on one of my towers that doesn't have a Prop Pitch so swap out a defective rotor without having to jack up the mast and antenna.  I realize that mast alignment is a serious issue so I'm planning to use the DX Engineering DXE-AS455G rotor plate as it's adjustable which should be helpful for aligning the mast.

I'm wondering which thrust bearings do people like best, Rohn, Yaesu, or other?
73,Dick- K9OM

I believe that the prop pitch has a bearing and can hold considerableweight. Having three bearings on a mast creates a line up issue but that isa whole different subject. I just use a single thrust bearing at the top anda prop pitch around 5' into the tower.
John KK9A

Mike k4gmh at arrl.net
Hello,
What have others used to take the weight off of a tower mounted prop pitchrotor?
Presently, in the final stage of modifying a rescued prop pitch and,unfortunately,  it didn't have the triangle bearing plate.  Plan to use acouple of Rohn TB3 thrust bearings, one at top of the tower and the otherapprox. 2 ft below the top, but wanted to find out what others successfullyhave used to keep the weight off prop pitch rotors.
The load will consist of a 2" dia. X 1/4" wall X 21 ft chrome molly mastplus a homemade 40 m Moxon (approx. 70 lbs) and a 4 el SteppIR (approx. 50lbs).
I've review the TT archive for thrust bearings for possible applicationwith a prop pitch rotor without any consensus on what to use other than theavailable thrust bearings are not reliable in the long run.
  73,  Mike, K4GMH