[TowerTalk] Tool for F-connector holes

Grant Saviers grants2 at pacbell.net
Tue Mar 12 16:17:35 EDT 2019

A custom broach could be made. Square and hex are made in stock sizes.
They start from a drilled hole and a double D could be made, but a lot
of holes would be needed to justify the cost.  Of course they wouldn't
work in a small box, there isn't enough stroke and the difficulty of
backing up the wall against the thrust of the broach.

I think the 3d printed adapter is the winner. Also could make them in
acrylic cut on a low end laser cutters.  I'm going to 3d print some in
ABS and see how they work.

btw the female F chassis connectors I have measure about 0.365" diameter
and 0.293" across the flats.  For my connector the max adapter thickness
is about 0.070" with a solder lug and the nut threads fully engaged.  I
think two mounting holes will suffice.  For a Carlon box some ABS to PVC
glue would make the adapter watertight.

Be extra careful drilling plastic with regular drills > 1/4".  Unless
the cutting lip is stoned flat, they will grab.  The mold draft on
Carlon boxes aggravates the problem and holding the box by hand is
really dangerous.  (I've drilled dozens in a vise and hate doing it).
Single flute step drills are ok if the step length works for the wall
thickness.  Or buy special point drills made for drilling plastic that
also won't grab on breakthru.

Grant KZ1W