[TowerTalk] F-connectors

Zivney, Terry 00tlzivney at bsu.edu
Wed Mar 13 15:08:57 EDT 2019

Beware of buying 4-hole flange mount female f-connectors online.

I had problems with the  PCB mounted connectors supplied with the
YCCC receiving antenna kits for the chokes, so I purchased
"10x F-Type 4 Hole Panel Mount Jack Connector with extended dielectric solder post"
from an online auction site.

The connectors look beautiful.

HOWEVER, I could not use them with my BNC-F adapter for test equipment
measurements.

REAL F-connectors are an engineering genius. Low cost, reasonable reliability.
This is a result of the two parallel spring fingers that make up the center contact
in REAL F-connectors. This accommodates a variety of sizes of center conductors
from different sizes of coax.

The online beauties appear to have a simple machines single-diameter center
contact, which limits the size of conductor which can be used. This might be ok
with high-precision connectors like REAL SMA connectors, but is a poor manufacturing
design when used as an F-connector.

I solved the problem with the supplied PCB connectors by purchasing some
external tooth lock washers to bite into the PVC pipe caps used in the YCCC
choke design. I also used solder lugs to make the connection to the F-connectors.

I could not determine from the picture in the Digikey catalog whether the
pricey Amphenol connector have the same flawed design. The manufacturer's drawing
is mute on this important point.

Terry N4TZ