[TowerTalk] F-connectors

GaryK9GS garyk9gs at wi.rr.com
Wed Mar 13 22:09:14 EDT 2019

Perhaps because they are the only connector that will fit RG-6?  I can't think of another connector that would fit.  RG-6 Is larger, I believe, than RG58 or RG59.73,Gary K9GS
-------- Original message --------From: john at kk9a.com Date: 3/13/19  9:00 PM  (GMT-06:00) To: towertalk at contesting.com Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] F-connectors I am wondering why F connectors are popular in amateur radio stations?  Theyare not waterproof, maybe partially if an o-ring is added. Basically asTerry noted they are a cheap connector that has no center pin other the coaxwire. John Zivney, Terry N4TZ wrote: Beware of buying 4-hole flange mount female f-connectors online.I had problems with the  PCB mounted connectors supplied with the YCCC receiving antenna kits for the chokes, so I purchased "10x F-Type 4 Hole Panel Mount Jack Connector with extended dielectricsolder post"from an online auction site.The connectors look beautiful.HOWEVER, I could not use them with my BNC-F adapter for test equipment measurements.REAL F-connectors are an engineering genius. Low cost, reasonablereliability.This is a result of the two parallel spring fingers that make up the centercontactin REAL F-connectors. This accommodates a variety of sizes of centerconductorsfrom different sizes of coax.The online beauties appear to have a simple machines single-diameter centercontact, which limits the size of conductor which can be used. This might beokwith high-precision connectors like REAL SMA connectors, but is a poormanufacturingdesign when used as an F-connector.I solved the problem with the supplied PCB connectors by purchasing some external tooth lock washers to bite into the PVC pipe caps used in the YCCCchoke design. I also used solder lugs to make the connection to theF-connectors.I could not determine from the picture in the Digikey catalog whether thepricey Amphenol connector have the same flawed design. The manufacturer'sdrawingis mute on this important point.Terry N4TZ______________________________________________________________________________________________TowerTalk mailing listTowerTalk at contesting.comhttp://lists.contesting.com/mailman/listinfo/towertalk