[TowerTalk] Fwd: F-connectors

Jim Brown jim at audiosystemsgroup.com
Thu Mar 14 14:38:23 EDT 2019

On 3/14/2019 10:30 AM, Kirk Kleinschmidt via TowerTalk wrote:
> The cable has loss figures equivalent or slightly better than generic RG-8

Physics from an alternate universe! At least three reasons why this
cannot be true.

First, the center of most CATV coax is CCS, which is equivalent to solid
copper at VHF/UHF, but not below 5 MHz, where most hams use it. Second,
the shield is Al and often flimsy, so shield resistance is greater than
coax with a decent copper braid. Third, because the shield diameter of
RG6 cables is much less than RG8, resistance is greater due to conductor
diameter.

> , and if you want even better specs, use RG-11.

Yes. But for the reasons noted above, I use RG11 cables like Belden 8213
and a decent  equivalent mfd for Davis RF. I've measured loss of the
Davis cable and 8213 with a VNA, and found them equivalent.

73, Jim K9YC