[TowerTalk] Antenna advice needed

john at kk9a.com john at kk9a.com
Fri Mar 15 20:27:38 EDT 2019

I believe my QSL manager (WD9DZV) has that same model OptiBeam in the Windy
City. No issues with snow/ice or wind and it works great on all of its
covered bands.

John KK9A

Bruce Jungwirth k0son

I'm looking to replace a very old 3 element tribander. I'm looking at either
KT34M2, or OptiBeam OB9-5. Both have similar gain and f/b figures. My
question, does anyone have experience with these in cold, snowy, and
sometimes ice covered conditions. The KT34 has a wind load of 4.5 sq ft, and
the OptiBeam 7.8 sq ft probably due to the sq boom and full sized
elements(36ft) vs 25ft on the KT34. The antenna will be mounted on a 9 ft
quad pod tower on the garage roof, about 30 ft above ground, (can't afford a
real tower set up). Any information will be greatly appreciated.

Bruce  K0SON