[TowerTalk] Copperweld

HP pfizenmayer at q.com
Sat Mar 16 22:39:59 EDT 2019

In about 1951 Steinbergs in Cincinnati was selling 500 foot rolls of #18 Copperweld
something like 2 rolls for $5 - I have an 80 M inv vee I made originally in Cincinnati
in 1951 -had tuned feeders then - I have used that same antenna for 67 years
now fed with RG213 - its great - virtually invisible after it turns black - has never
broken thru Ohio,Illinois,Iowa, and now Arizona since 1970. I still have most of
one roll will be glad to send a SMALL piece to anyone who wants to check
copper thickness of what was probably WW2 surplus Copperweld .

Anybody remember "Jules" from Steinbergs and his demo of "SSB" magic on
75 M at Cincinnati Hamfest with a Central Electronics 20A ? circa 1954.

Hank K7HP

On 3/12/19 7:37 PM, Ken wrote:
> I see you are not capitalizing "copperweld".? Copperweld is actually a
> trademark and company name.? Most of what I see advertised is "copper
> clad steel" and I wonder if the cheap wire we buy has thinner specs than
> true Copperweld.? OTOH, I see that Copperweld has been acquired and is
> now headquartered in China, so maybe (or maybe not) capitalized
> Copperweld does not live up to it's old reputation.

It would still have to meet the resistance spec, and even the 21% IACS
stuff would have a fairly thick layer of copper.