[TowerTalk] old rotor contacts repair question

Dick Williams richardk8ztt at gmail.com
Sat Mar 23 09:25:11 EDT 2019

David,

I have repaired just about all models of the Hy Gain rotors over the years.

First, unless you are into S & M, forget about the terminal strip and order
a quick disconnect connector

http://www.rotor-parts.com/catalogue/oscommerce-2.3.3.4/catalog/product_info.php?cPath

Erratic meter indications are normally associated with a worn out 500 ohm
pot in the rotor, so order a new pot.

Since the rotor is older, I would also replaced the bearings and the two
nylon bearing holders.  Bearings tend to become pitted, and the nylon
bearing holders become brittle and break easily when re-installing the
bearings.

Once you have the rotor torn down, clean out all the old grease, and use
new grease.  Does not take a lot and several rotors I have fixed had way
too much grease in them.

Take a look at the inside top of the bell housing and check for excessive
wear of the slot the "tit" of the wiper on the 500 ohm pot fits into.  Also
check the brake housing for any broken teeth, and do the same for all the
gears.

Dick, K8ZTT