[TowerTalk] TB3 Postmortem

Grant Saviers grants2 at pacbell.net
Sun May 5 09:53:46 EDT 2019

"Thrust" bearing or rotator, the problem is the same.  Steel bearing
balls on aluminum are a bad combination for causing fretting corrosion
and wear.  When there are small motions, the oil film is penetrated and
the metal to metal contact and electro-chemical forces cause pitting,
and wear particles, ultimately making the divots.

There are specialty greases made to reduce the problem.  White lithium
or auto store wheel bearing greases aren't.  At one time HyGain sold an
ounce container of Rheolube xxx  (Nye lubricants).  The sourcing problem
I've found is only large package sizes are available and some are fairly
expensive.

With any grease, the best idea is to move the rotator often enough to
replenish the oil film between the ball and race.  Each ball should make
a full rotation.   Generally, all synthetic grease is a better choice as
it is more stable over time and temperature and doesn't separate.  My
favorite is Super Lube 21030 PTFE augmented and is widely available.

Grant KZ1W