[TowerTalk] tower removal question

Tom WA9WSJ wa9wsj at yahoo.com
Sun May 5 17:36:35 EDT 2019

Hello Oh Wise Gents!
I have the opportunity to obtain a 40, (38), foot Rohn 25G for free. But I will have to take it down. I have no idea how long it's been in the air but I would guess many years.
The bottom section has TWO splits, one per leg, where it must have frozen and ruptured, so no climbing it. I'm considering a rented man lift to take each section off.
So my question is "generally speaking", how difficult is it to separate the sections? Considering that I'll use a gin pole and a tower jack installation/removal tool.
The antenna that is up there is what looks to be a VHF commercial ground plane, so no real weight was up there.
I know this is a leading question, but I'd like a little insight as to what I'm up against.
What tricks does the experienced guys here have to suggest?
Thanks much!!!
Tom