[TowerTalk] tower removal question

terry burge ki7m at comcast.net
Sun May 5 18:22:33 EDT 2019

Tom,

Those splits in the base is an issue. It may be necessary to clamp angle iron around each section to make sure they don't split out more and topple on you. The question may be is it a tilt base or what? And is it rusted through some where? If it is still solid you may get by with just buying new bolts thru Star or the like.

Rohn 45 weights 40 pound a section. In my younger days I could walk up that size tower on the Rohn tilt over base as I recall without too much difficulty. I'm 70 now and don't think I would want to try it now. But of course that is 160 pounds and if you slip or need help it is a handful of big trouble. Don't get caught under it! Best to have two people of course.

 I know using a jin pole arrangement 38-40 foot of tower is really sweet using it. Fun playing with a tribander with the reflector a foot or two off the ground and the beam facing up and adjusting for SWR. The way it will shift up or down can be predicted once you have done it a couple of times. And yes you can tune a yagi this way with a tilt over tower. Quads, NO WAY!

But with the availability of rohn 45 tower you do have to consider is the trouble worth it to you. A boat style hand winch works well on a tower this size IF it has a locking break.

Terry
KI7M