[TowerTalk] Screws used in Element Construction

K9MA k9ma at sdellington.us
Wed May 8 22:12:11 EDT 2019

I like the system used on the W3JK antenna I'm building right now.  It
uses hex head machine screws with nylock nuts (UV-proof). The hole in
one side of the outer section is drilled larger, so the screw head
clears. The screw sizes go from 10-24 for the 1.25 tubing to 8-32 for
the smaller ones.  I'm going one step further, and putting blue Loctite
on all the screws. Needless to say, the screws and nuts must be stainless.

That said, when I refurbished my A3 a while ago, I put sheet metal
screws in all the joints, in addition to the clamps. I used number 6
screws, which seemed adequate. One could always put two of them in the
larger sections.

73,
Scott K9MA