[TowerTalk] Screws used in Element Construction

john at kk9a.com john at kk9a.com
Thu May 9 09:40:35 EDT 2019

Personally I like hose clamps however you have to get quality ones
with a wide band and stainless steel screw. It is unlikely that you
will find these at the big box stores. Why do you want to change this
clamping method? The only issue that I have seen with them is in
highly corrosive environments where the aluminum and stainless steel
do not play nicely with each other.  I have also use screws but with
nuts and though the entire tube, with the outer one slit just as you
have and it worked well. On occasion, usually with large heavy tubing,
I have used the SHCS method that K5GO just described and it is a good
method. I would not just use a sheet metal screw though a single wall
of each tubing. I am not sure how well they would hold, especially
with the antenna elements vibrating in the wind.

John KK9A

Garry K4OR wrote:

Greetings all,
I am rebuilding a 17 meter beam I built about 35 years ago. At the
time I used slots and hose clamps where fastening element sections
together but this time I am going to use sheet metal screws. My tubing
sizes will taper from 1.125" down to .625" in 5 sections per side.
I can't find any information on what size screws to use unless I'm
just looking over it. I have seen a recommendation to use hex head
screws rather than typical flat blade or phillips head due to possible
damage to the screw head but nothing on screw size. I also wonder if
self tapping would be a better option than standard sheet metal type.
Any thoughts will be most appreciated.
Thanks & 73,Garry - K4OR