[TowerTalk] RG-213 Hi Pot ?

jimlux jimlux at earthlink.net
Sat May 11 00:41:25 EDT 2019

On 5/10/19 10:15 AM, Steven Katz wrote:
> 10kW at 50 Ohms is only 707Vrms = 1kVpk.

The power rating is related to the current rating of the 13 AWG center
conductor.

I = sqrt(P/R) = 14 amps for 10kW at 50 ohms.   Polyethylene has a low
melting point and is a good thermal insulator.

What you're really interested in is the breakdown strength of the
dielectric, and the field at the center conductor.  To a first order,
you look at the radius of curvature of the center conductor, which is
0.036" for AWG 13 or about 1mm. So, at 10kV, the field is about 10
kV/mm, which sounds like a lot, and it would be, in air, where the
breakdown is about 3 kV/mm.  But the breakdown for polyethylene (and
most plastics) is about 20kV/mm (things with halogens, like PTFE, run
about twice that).

This is for a solid dielectric - foam is MUCH lower - not only is the
breakdown lower in the gas bubbles, but you've got field concentrations
due to the non-uniform structure.

The breakdown in coax will also be lower where there's not a good shield
- the shield helps keep the field stress uniform.

Real HV cable has a semiconductive layer around the center conductor,
then the insulator - that helps manage the field distribution so you
don't get concentrations, where corona can start.

The problem with HV cables is that they have microscopic defects, and
the field concentration at a defect (when run close to the limit) causes
a small discharge - that discharge breaks down the dielectric, creating
a bigger defect, and it grows from there. Just like a crack in aluminum
or plastic that grows on each stress cycle.  So you want to be a bit
conservative using RF coax as HV cable - not abuse it, don't kink it, etc.

But RG-8 at 40-50 kV has been used for a long time.