[TowerTalk] Calculating Forces for Tilting tower

jimlux jimlux at earthlink.net
Wed May 29 22:31:20 EDT 2019

On 5/29/19 6:24 PM, Ted Bryant W4NZ wrote:
> It has been a long time since I've had to solve a Statics and Dynamics problem. But I believe there are some missing elements in the analysis.
>
> For example. with the lifting point at 10 feet from the fixed or pivoting end of the 40ft tower and a 50 lb load at the very end of the tower, 30 ft from the lift point, simple physics says that you have a lever arm of 1500 ft-lbs (30ft x 50lb) downward force applied at the lift point.

That's accounted for.. 50 lbs * 40 ft = 2000 ft lbs moment

At the 10ft point, ignoring the tower, you'd need to lift up with 200
lbs to get the same 2000 ft lb moment (200 lbs * 10 ft).

If you want to do it as a lever, it's the ratio of the distances, 4:1,
is inversely proportional to the force you need to apply, 1:4.

Adding the tower weight (40lb/section * 4 sections = 160 lb), you can
consider it as all being at half the length (20 ft).
So the moment is 160 lb * 20 ft = 3200 ft lb
As a check, ignoring the 50 lb on top...
If you picked the tower up at the 20 ft point,  you'd need to exert a
force of 160 lbs (just lifting it).

Instead, you're picking it up at the 10 ft point, so you need twice as
much force: 320 lb.

  I don't see that force accounted for is this analysis. Even this
simple calculation ignores the considerable leverages at the lift point
caused by the weight of the tower sections themselves, possibly as much
as an additional 1800 ft-lbs.  All this is way more than the 520lb
vertical force mentioned below.  Even ignoring the flexing of the tower
itself, lifting 3300 lbs at a 45 degree angle and from a height of only
10 feet, you have a serious problem.