[TowerTalk] NEC4 server

jimlux jimlux at earthlink.net
Sun Nov 10 09:01:56 EST 2019

On 11/9/19 10:50 PM, K9MA wrote:
> Gee, I remember the days when you had to take a stack of cards to the
> computing center, and come back the next day to find out you made a typo
> in card 134.
>
> Joking aside, I think it would be great if one could have access to NEC4
> that way. I understand it can actually model buried radials, and may
> cope better with closely spaced wires.

It does model buried wires, and wires that cross the boundary between
above and below ground.

And it does much better with closely spaced wires, wires at angles, and
wires with very short segments (relative to wavelength)

Basically, all the complaints about what NEC2 (which is vintage 1980)
doesn't do well were fixed in NEC3 and NEC4.1 (which is vintage 1992)
and NEC4.2, which is vintage 2011 (the better ground model GN3 is from 2011)

Ground Model info here:
LLNL-TR-490316
https://digital.library.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metadc868579/