[TowerTalk] LMR 400 UF issue and Low Loss cables in general

Mike & Becca Krzystyniak k9mk at flash.net
Wed Nov 13 10:37:57 EST 2019

Hi John

    I have used LMR-600uf outdoors for ~20 years.  I have not seen any
issues with degradations due to uV here is north Texas.  At least when
compared to LMR400 runs in parallel with it.

    I spoke with Times on this "uF" question several times. The input I
received from one of their engineers was that the "uF" life spec is similar
to plenum cables, or about 10 years.   I never found this published but it
may be out there somewhere.  He also said Plenum cables can be used outdoors
too but that is another question...

    I do know that many of the coax manufacturers have tweaked their
processes and the result maybe a product that degrades faster (or lasts
longer) than others.  We all want this stuff to last for as long as possible
but then there is the question of useful life in the rotor loop application.
Mine seems to get dings and scars in the loop from wind driven movements
more so than rotation.  YMMV.

73 Mike K9MK