[TowerTalk] multi-sheave pulley

David Gilbert xdavid at cis-broadband.com
Wed Nov 13 13:43:20 EST 2019

I also have a PST-71D rotator and it weighs a lot more than 50 pounds
... 88 pounds if I remember correctly.  I used an inexpensive hand crank
winch (turned by a cordless drill) to get it up to the top of my tower.
You can get a crappy, but usable, worm drive winch from Harbor Freight
for less than $30.

When I raised my rotator I could see steel filings being shed from the
toothed gear and glinting in the sunlight as they fell even though I had
it heavily greased.  The worm gear on my winch appears to be hard steel,
but the toothed gear most certainly is not. Still, for what you want to
do it should be fine.

I suspect that will be cheaper than any decent four sheave pulley you
can find, especially since any inexpensive four sheave pulley as small
as one or two inch is going to have enough friction to negate a
significant portion of it's mechanical advantage.  Don't ask me how I
know that.

73,
Dave   AB7E