[TowerTalk] Weekend from hell

Patrick Greenlee patrick_g at windstream.net
Tue Nov 19 07:14:16 EST 2019

I was first licensed in 1962 and when in the USAF in 1966 I had the base
commander's permission to operate an electronic entertainment system
repair business from my on base house. My main parts supplier was in
town 15 miles  and an expensive long distance call away so I used CB to
talk to the supplier as well as to coordinate with two partners. A near
neighbor said nothing to me but turned in a formal interference
complaint stating I was jamming his TV with my CB.  I got a letter from
the FCC and had to get a 2nd class radiotelephone licensee to
investigate and report via a form the FCC supplied.  My equipment
checked out OK but upon checking the complainants TV it was found to be
a very old obsolete unit with an IF frequency in the 27 MHz band.  I was
transmitting directly into his RF chain.  I was not required to do
anything and the complainant could suffer the interference or get a
different TV. The 2nd class was a USAF officer who did the work pro bono
as he was a pilot and I was the instrument trainer operator/instructor
he came to for 2 hours per quarter.